PONARS Eurasia Ukraine Task Force
Considering Russia’s ongoing brutal invasion of Ukraine and recognizing the importance, urgency, and challenges of timely, comprehensive analysis of the war’s momentous impacts, implications, and prospects, PONARS Eurasia has organized a Task Force of prominent academic experts based in Ukraine, Europe, and North America to generate expert-group assessments of Ukraine-related events, issues, and trends.
Our goal is to help other scholars, the policy community, and the public to make sense of and put into broader context the voluminous flow of information from and about the region. Through synergetic team discussions and evaluations, we seek to look beyond the headlines and identify:
- The important questions to ask that are not necessarily featured in dominant public discourses.
- What aspects of military, political, socioeconomic, and cultural developments to examine further.
- Which theoretical and empirical studies provide important insights on key unfolding issues.
- How to estimate and anticipate potential risks and benefits of current developments or proposed policies.
- What innovative research methodologies could be deployed.
- How to identify and appreciate the limitations of any analytic view, including ours, on Ukraine issues.
In pursuance of our goal, Ukraine Task Force members are committed to participating on short-term notice in group brainstorming/crowd-sourcing sessions. Resulting analyses will be posted in multiple formats, including but not limited to Rapid Reaction bulletins, blog-style comments, policy memos, and other products, authored as a group and/or by individual Task Force members and posted to the PONARS Eurasia web pages and related outlets.
Membership in the Task Force implies a commitment to analysis based on credible, verified information as well as the wholesale condemnation of Russia’s unprovoked, genocidal military aggression against Ukraine.
Task Force Reports
May 15, 2023
The current Western strategy needs to commit to long-term support for Ukraine regardless of the outcome of the anticipated counter-offensive.